Kemwel logo
Contact our reservation specialists


International Driving Permit FAQ

You've got questions, we've got answers. As car rental specialists assisting drivers around the world, we know all there is to know about how to safely and legally drive in a foreign country. Click on any of the links below to learn the answer to some of the most commonly asked questions about obtaining an IDP.

Countries that Require an IDP for American Drivers

International Driving Permits are Required in the following countries for US Licensed Drivers: Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Spain.

What is an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an additional travel document required in some countries as a supplement to your domestic driver's license. Being the translated version of your license in the local language, it is necessary to carry in addition to having a valid US license. Carrying an IDP when driving in any foreign country is highly recommended.

Where Do I Get an International Driving Permit?

Americans traveling abroad can order an International Driving Permit online or in person through their local American Automobile Association (AAA) branch or through the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA). These are the only two agencies Kemwel recommends to use to obtain an IDP.

Get your IDP Online

AAA IDP Website | AATA IDP Website

How Much does an IDP Cost?

Purchasing an IDP through AAA or AATA will cost travelers $20 and the license is valid for up to one year.

What is the IDP Application?

Obtaining an International Driving Permit requires that you complete a short application. The application covers basic identity questions - name, address, D.O.B, and domestic driver's license number along with additional personal information.